(Originally posted in in March 2012, Target has switched things up and doesn’t necessarily use this method for markdowns anymore). One of the best ways to get a great deal at Target is to shop their clearance section for deals. By following this handy Target Markdown Schedule you can learn exactly which departments Target marks down each day of the week. Be aware however that this schedule may vary from location to location, so your Target store might have a slightly different schedule. This information is really helpful if you’re looking for a deal on a specific item. It can also be used to help you know if you should wait it out for an even better deal!

Each week Target marks down items in certain departments, in most cases the first markdown will be 30% off.  If something is marked down one week, generally, in two weeks or so it will get marked down to 50% off, then a couple weeks later it will finally get marked down to 70% off.  This means that if you’re willing to wait a couple of weeks you can get items for up to 70% off. Be careful though, really hot items tend to go fast so make sure to grab a good deal when you see it because it might not stick around. If there is only one item left at 30% off, the odds of it making it to 70% or even 50% off are slim, so there are some instances where you will want to buy an item sooner rather than later.

The best part about using the schedule is that you can know exactly which department is marked down on each day.  If you are in need of baby gear,  for example your best bet for finding new baby markdowns will be on a Monday. Here is the Target Markdown Schedule that tells you when Target puts items from each department on clearance. Hope this helps you get some great deals at Target!

Target Markdown Schedule